This little light of mine. I’m gonna let it shine. This…oh, I’m sorry. I had this song stuck in my head and didn’t realize it was time to start writing. Most of us know this song somehow, either from our own church experience or someone else’s. An appropriate Bible verse that goes along with it is Matthew 5:14-17, which says…you are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it in a bowl. Instead, they put it on its stand and it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before men , that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in Heaven”
So let’s go back to our song, along with this verse. It tells us to let our light shine. However, it doesn’t tell us how to do it! Is there a way to let our light shine? I was reading the Life Application Bible, and they actually mention 6 ways we hide our light. Those are:
- Being quiet when we should speak.
- Going along with the crowd.
- Denying the light.
- Letting sin dim our light.
- Not sharing our light with others.
- Ignoring the needs of others.
Due to the fact that I like to focus on the positive, I turned these ideas around. Instead of discussing ways we hide our light, let’s instead talk about how we can shine our light:
- Share positive and encouraging words whenever possible.
- Express the parts of your personality that make you unique.
- Be willing to let God’s light shine in you.
- Do your best to do things right. Nobody’s perfect, but do your best to be your best.
- Look for opportunities to share the light with others.
- Serve others as much as possible and do what you can to meet their needs.
If you are seeking for ways to shine that little light of yours, I think this is a great way to do it. Not only will others be blessed, but you will notice a greater positive light shining on your own life as well.
Enjoy the blessings : )