I’ll begin with this question…which athlete or celebrity have you ever idolized? Almost of all of us can think of at least one. Many of us looked up to these people as kids, but many also do so as adults. For me, it’s been a while since I really locked in on a celebrity or athelete and called them my favorite. However, for the first time in a while, that may change.
Many of you know the current football player named Tim Tebow. If not, here’s a brief introduction…He was a star football player in high school and college. However, the general consensus was that he was not a pro type quarterback and that he would not be successful in the NFL. However, he is now a starting NFL quarterback that has brought his team from last place to first, often by winning games late and in incredible come-back fashion. He is also an openly, devout Christian, and is quick to proclaim his views, openly thank God, pray, etc. This has attracted much attention, and unfortunately, some criticism. Either way, one has to believe that divine intervention has something to do with what’s been happening on the football field.
I enjoy football, but it is not one of my favorite sports. I watch a handful of games, but don’t pay much attention otherwise. That’s why I had heard of Tebow and all he was doing, but had never seen him speak. The other night, a football program was showing highlights from his most recent dramatic victory. I had to stop and watch. Afterwards, I was in awe. Not of the the come from behind victory, but of the amazing presence of this man.
Once again I will say that I do not play favorites when it comes to athletes or celebrities. However, this one was immediately different. I immediately saw several qualities that, if followed by myself or anyone else, could bring impressive victories to our own lives. They are obvious, but often taken for granted or not followed, at least in my case sometimes. They are:
- Constant communication with God – I often pray, but sometimes lose touch with God throughout the day. After all, I am busy, and I am dealing with over 150 students and adults that demand much from me. OK, whatever. This young man was in prayer throughout the entire game. He’s on a field with almost 100 players involved, in front of 80,000 fans. He wasn’t ever too busy to pray and focus on God’s presence.
- Gratitude – On this football show, the players were miked, so you could hear what they were saying. It was amazing how many times Tebow thanked God, and thanked the players around him for the great things that were happening.
- Faith – Not only did He pray throughout, but he obviously had faith in God’s ability to lead him. This was evident through his language, communication, and demeanor.
- Positivity – I did not hear a negative word come from his mouth. More impressive was the press conference afterwards. Even when asked some difficult questions, he smiled, provided a full answer, and gave full attention to the interview. Not once did you get the impression he wanted to be somewhere else.
- Impact – Due to all of the factors above, his team was glued to his words and his leadership. They were completely sold on his ability to lead them to accomplish the goal. When we demonstrate the qualities above, people will do the same for us.
I don’t believe in idolizing famous people. They are human and often make mistakes (just like us). However, there are some positive examples that we can certainly learn from. Tim Tebow is one of them. After seeing this example, I have challenged myself to be sure that I demonstrate the above qualities on a daily basis. It is my desire that the people around me would see God’s light shining in me, and would look to me as a positive leader who can help them get to where they need to go.
The cool thing about this is that, with God’s guidance, we can all be this type of person. Let us take the time to communicate and meditate with God, regardless of any business or distraction. Let us faithfully know that He is with us every step of the way. He wants to and will answer our prayers as long as we believe. Let us be thankful for all that we have, and let us express our appreciation to those around us. And let us maintain a positive attitude, looking for the good in all things. If you follow these guidelines, you too can experience the magic of Tebow. Enjoy the blessings : )