Is there such a thing as good coming from the bad? If you’ve known me long enough, you know I completely believe the answer is yes. I would much rather not face negative situations at all, but if we have to deal with them, it’s nice to know something good can come from them.
Today I share with you good news and bad news. The bad news is that negative situations are unavoidable. We are told by God not that we may face trials, but that we WILL face them. Even the best, happiest, most successful people on this earch will face negative situations at times.
The good news is that these situations can be used for our good. In fact, this is also written in the Bible. Everything happens for our good, even if we have to take some bumps and growing pains along the way.
How can negative situations make things better for us? I believe there are many ways. Here are a few:
- I have found that in almost all cases, the negative experience made me a better person.
- They caused me to learn something that perhaps I wouldn’t have learned if I hadn’t faced that situation.
- They have resulted in blessings. I am always reminded of the Garth Brooks song, “Unanswered Prayers”. I would not have some of my greatest gifts and blessings now had I received what I wanted and didn’t have to go through the trial I endured.
- They force action. It’s easy to procrastinate…except when your back is completely against the wall. Then you are forced to act. Many times this action ultimately results in the success you are looking for.
- They bring an additional perspective you may not have had before. This perspective can a major help sometime down the road.
- They bring you closer with someone else. I hate interpersonal conflicts and will do all I can to avoid them. However, many times these conflicts, when handled correctly, enhance relationships because the air is cleared, and necessary feelings are communicated.
I can go on with a much longer list. Hopefully you can see that, as much as we want to avoid them, negative situations can be good things. Here’s another list of how you can use negative situations to help you. Once again, the list can be much longer than I’m making it, but I find these suggestions very helpful, and hopefully you will too.
- Learn from it.
- Here’s one that really helps…deliberately meditate on all of the good that comes from a particular adversity. For example, I struggled with money for most of my life. It hasn’t been fun, but in my quest to earn money I have learned so much about so many other things besides money. For example, I learned to trust God more, to use the power of my mind, and to be content with what I have. I would have never learned those things had money just been a regular part of my life.
- It changes your thinking patterns. When you focus on the good that can come from negative situations, you take your focus from the bad and place it on positive thoughts. It is often said that you receive in life what you focus your primary thoughts on. When you focus on the bad situations, you will only see more of them. However, when you focus on the positive and appreciate the good that comes from any situation, you are more likely to see the good manifest in your life.
- Take action. As mentioned before, negative situations often force you to take action. The key is to take advantage of the opportunity.
I invite you to add to these lists. How have negative situations helped you in the past? How have you used them to improve your life. I would love to know, and appreciate you sharing them.
Once again, I am sure we would all rather not face and experience bad situations. However, even though we can’t avoid them, we can make the best of them. That’s one way your life gets taken to a higher level in a hurry. Enjoy the blessings : )