As I mentioned in my previous post, I am beginning a series of articles on positive attitude attributes found in Jeffrey Gitomer’s book, “The Little Golden Book of Yes”. I am taking 22 yes attitude attributes from his self-reflection and report card section of the book. You can rate yourself on the level of your positive attitude you have by giving yourself a score of 1-5 for each. I have made it a point to get 5 for as many of them as possible each day.
The first attribute I will discuss is a logical one to jumpstart your success. It is quite simple, yet sometimes easier said than done. However, making this a key habit can make a major difference in your level of success each day. The simple attribute is to start EVERY day on a positive note. Begin the day immediately with thoughts of success and how you will excel. Here are some ways to accomplish this each day:
- Gratitude – Immediately reflect on the things you are thankful for in life. It can be anything from health and protection, your family, money (no matter how much or little you have), and basics like food, clothing, electricity, or whatever you place your mental focus on.
- Affirmations – Affirm positive words and phrases to yourself to set and maintain a positive frame of mind. I often do this in the shower first thing in the morning to help wake myself up and fill my mind with positive reminders.
- Visualize your day – I find it very helpful to determine what I need to do to be successful that day. Then, usually as I enjoy my breakfast and coffee, I visualize myself succeeding in those endeavors throughout the day.
- Determine how you can be a blessing – On many occasions, opportunities to bless others arrive spontaneously. However, when I think in advance of things I can do to be a blessing to others, it keeps me in that state of mind to look for ways I can give to others and take them to a higher level.
- Pray – I spend my 20 minute drive to work with no radio, music, or any type of distraction. The time is spent in prayer for a successful day for me and those close to me. This alone can be a powerful way to begin a successful day.
These are just some suggestions of how you can begin each day on a positive note. I understand that sometimes you know from the beginning that the day will be difficult to face. However, instead of dreading it and going into it with a negative attitude, prepare yourself right away for success, knowing that you can overcome any obstacle with the right frame of mind. Set yourself up for success by immediately filling your mind with positive thoughts at the start of each day. Once this becomes a regular habit, it will become as natural as anything else in your morning routine. Even better, it will add more success and joy to your life, and it contagiously translates to others as well. Enjoy the blessings 🙂