October 23, 2012
Every once in a while I stop to think about some things in life we take for granted. After reading information about Thomas Edison recently, I thought about the light bulb. The light bulb is a special and symbolic object because it can literally add light to a dark place.
How does the light bulb work? The simple explanation is that is connected to an electrical source. Then the switch is turned on and it shines its light. The light bulb is one of man’s greatest inventions. However, as special of an object that the light bulb is, it can only work if it is connected to its power source (electricity). Without that, it cannot function.
After reflecting on this further, I realized the similarity in our lives. How can you be compared to a light bulb? It’s simple when you think about it. Just like the light bulb, you are a wonderful creation. You have so much light to offer in a dark world. In order to light your world you need two things. One is that you need to be connected to the source of God, your Creator. Then it’s up to you to “flip your switch”. That is to consciously be a beacon of the bright light that is within you.
If you are seeking to be a positive and powerful light to those around you, consciously focus on this concept. Be sure to keep this in perspective. It is not you providing the blessing. You are simply the instrument that is being used to do so. Without your power source you can do nothing. Stay connected to God through prayer and reflection. Keep your switch in the “on” position by maintaining positive thoughts and living in a state of joy and gratitude. When you do this consistently, you will be a light to those around you.
We live in a world where there is a great deal of darkness. However, you have the power to be a shining light. When you follow these simple steps, people will notice. They will look to you to be their light, and you will be blessed in many ways. It’s a simple idea, yet many people move through life too quickly to even take the time to flick their switch on or connect with their power source. How about you? Hopefully the light bulb has come on and you are ready to light your world and make a difference. Enjoy the blessings : )
October 21, 2012
How many people want to say they have the best of everything in life? It is human nature for us to want the best of everything. Some people can say they have it all now. However, many other people simply spend their lives longing for great things, but never see them materialize. Instead of experiencing the best things life can provide, they spend lives hoping, wishing, and waiting.
Is there a way to receive the best in all aspects of life? I firmly believe there is. So how can you receive the best of everything in life? Simply look for it. It seems too simple to be true. However, I know from experience how powerful this truth is. The times I seek the best in everything are the times I see it and experience it. The times I see negativity are the times things don’t go the way I want them to go.
To make this even simpler, I will break it down into several parts. Focus on “the best” in these areas, and I believe you will see dramatic changes in your life:
- The best in other people – So often, we see the faults in other people. You may be married to a beautiful person. However, as time goes by, instead of seeing that beauty, you see the things that bother you…the nagging, leaving the toilet seat up, not cleaning up their mess, etc. What happens to the relationship when both partners do this? Of course it deteriorates! What would happen if you both focused on the beautiful things that attracted you together in the first place? Of course the relationship would flourish! Sure, the dishes and toilet seats need to be discussed, especially if it is bothersome. However, focus on the best aspects of the other person, and you are very likely to see them. Focus on the positives of everyone around you. Sure, everyone has issues. Everyone has things about them that are negative. E veryone also has things about them that are positive. I challenge you to focus on these things. See each person as the best possible person they can be. Expect them to be that person, and if necessary, communicate that expectation. It’s funny how people around us live up to whatever expectations we have for them.
- The best in yourself – Once again it’s often human nature to focus on the things that are wrong. You are a beautiful person with many positive qualities. Yet why do most focus on the negatives and mistakes? The key is to have high expectations for yourself and see yourself reaching them. Learn from your mistakes and failures, but don’t remain focused on them. Instead, remain focused on the beautiful creation you are, and have high standards for yourself. Don’t accept mediocrity. Always see yourself as worthy, give yourself fully into any task, and provide the best effort you possibly can every time. This last sentence of advice I have learned is the best and fastest way to success in any endeavor and to achieve a very successful life.
- The best in circumstances – Things don’t always work out the way we want them to. However, the Bible says all things work out for our good. The key is to see that good in everything and to be thankful for it. I will say that I don’t have as much money as I need right now. However, I have a beautiful house, with two cars, a pool, and many other things. Even though I am still struggling financially, I am richer than 90% of the rest of the world. That is how I need to look at. If I focus on the debt, I will continue to stress over it and experience it. If I am thankful for the good that I have and continue to seek that good, I will experience more of it. The same is true for anyone else as well.
I remind you again that if you want to receive the best of everything, simply look for it. See and expect the best in other people. See and only expect and give the best of yourself. And see the best of the circumstances in your life. People will live up to those ideals. You will feel great about the contributions you are making to your world, and you will see positive changes to your circumstances. I have seen in my own life that when you look for the best in everything you will get it. Your life will be filled with blessings, and you will be a major blessing to others. That’s the life I want to live. How about you?
October 8, 2012
My favorite song of this Fall so far is “Good To Be Alive” by Jason Gray. It is a very inspirational song about “living like there’s no tomorrow and loving like I’m on borrowed time”. I strongly suggest you give it a listen if you haven’t heard it already. I will include a link to the video at the end of the article.
There is another part of the song that I hadn’t noticed at first, but really struck my attention after the last time I heard it. It says, “all I want is to give you a life well-lived to say thank you”.
What a great way to say thank you to God for all he has given you. I love the message of this line. You can say thank you simply by living life to the fullest and being the best you can be each day.
I realize it is difficult for every day to be a great one. However, I can tell you from experience that the more you try to live joyfully each day, the more it actually plays out. And when you say thank you to God by living joyfully and adding to the joy of others, you will receive abundant blessings from Him. You will also see them with greater frequency.
The bottom line is that there’s a choice each day. You can allow obstacles and negativity to steal your joy and complain about all you don’t have. Or you can live joyfully and fully in gratitude of this wonderful life you have been given, enjoying the blessings each day. In my opinion, it’s an easy decision to make.
October 1, 2012
I am someone who is always looking for ways to refresh the soul, and I’m sure I am not alone. After all, this is our main connection to our Creator. The more refreshed your soul is, the greater your connection to your Source.
I read an article in the Pentacostal Evangel by Paul Louis Cole (7/8/12, p. 11-13) that provided excellent advice on how to refresh your soul and maximize your Heavenly connection. The author mentions the importance of finding time for physical exercise to refresh the body. He advises that we must also find time to exercise and build up the soul. The following are tips to do just that:
- Turn off…the news, and any other negative media.
- Turn on…messages of faith, peace, and uplifting power.
- Read…he especially encourages Proverbs in the morning, and Psalms at night. Of course a thorough reading of scripture and meditating on it is necessary too. I will also recommend any other positive reading material that will uplift the mind and soul.
- Encourage others.
- Pray for yourself and others on a regular basis.
- Declare faith over your life.
- Stay connected through church, small groups, and communication.
- Listen to positive music and encouraging messages.
- Do the smart, wise things in all aspects of your life.
- Decrease debt as fast as possible and never get there again.
- Tithe regularly and find other opportunities to give financially or any way you can.
I found this to be excellent advice and felt the need to share. These concepts may seem simple, yet how many times do we get caught up in the fast pace and negativity of life? By focusing on these ideas, you can add positivity to your life and be a light to others around you. As mentioned, you are strengthening your Spiritual connection. This will add much blessing to your life, and others will feel the positive vibration and want to be a part of your positive world. I definitely recommend you find the time each day for your spiritual workout. Enjoy the blessings : )